Lumbar Radiculopathy (Sciatica)
Sciatica is not a medical condition a many people believe. It is a term which describes the many different symptoms that occur when a patient experiences a serious medical low back condition, a shooting pain, numbness, and tingling being some of those symptoms.
It could also be the result of a more serious condition such as a bulging disc, herniated disc, DDD, piriformis syndrome, pregnancy, a spinal infection or a tumor in the spine, spinal stenosis or spondylolisthesis.
When experiencing Sciatica some of the most common symptoms are:
- Pain running from the lower back through the buttocks, and down to the legs
- Burning numbness and tingling in your legs
- Shooting pain described like electricity shooting down the legs
- Difficulty in walking, standing or even sitting. Sometimes if it&rsquos severe it becomes even impossible to perform daily activities
- Difficulty in sneezing and coughing which might feel very painful
- Pain worsens and affects everyday life activities
- Experiencing loss of bowel or bladder control
What causes this pain is the pressure the sciatic nerve receives from the various conditions that affect the spine. Since it usually appears in the lower back or the hip or buttock- the lumbar spine- it is called lumbar radiculopathy (lumbago).